As many of you know all too well, our community experienced a very hard end to 2021. The wildfires that ripped through the communities of Superior, Louisville and Broomfield spread to 6,000 acres, and took with them 580 homes and many businesses. Crews are working to contain and end the fires, aided by decreasing winds and a sizeable amount of snowfall today.
Losses Within The Left Hand Community
While our church community at large was mostly outside of the evacuation and active fire zones, the fires did result in the tragic loss of the home of Lonni and Bryan Pearce. Many of you have already reached out to ask how to help, and we are so grateful for that. Here are a few ways they would appreciate our support:
- Prayers: We ask for your prayers for their family. They are safe with family now, along with their precious Thor the cat.
- Financial Support: Send monetary donations directly to their Venmo account: @WBryanPearce. If you prefer a tax deductible donation through Left Hand Church, go to: https://lefthandchurch.churchcenter.com/giving/to/disaster-relief-benevolence-fund
- Household Items/Clothing:
- If you are local, see the below Google document to sign up to drop off items of need: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m1naVoyQhDgKfXN58gK9y2Ckre1EWp8mrWzhnnVnN5o/edit?usp=sharing
- If you aren’t local or can’t drop off, see their Amazon wish list for items that can be shipped to them:
- Meals: Sign up to deliver a meal starting 1/8/22 to their new rental place in Lafayette: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/904044ea4a82fa7fe3-peace
If you have a question or resource to offer, we ask you to reach out to our Care Pastor, Kristie Sykes, at email@example.com, in lieu of contacting the Pearces directly. That will help us coordinate needed care for them, as well as give their family a bit of time to process these losses.
If you have been affected by these fires and have not already reached out to one of the pastors, please do. We would love to connect you to resources and generally support you during this difficult time.
Ways To Help Our Wider Community
We are taking recommendations from the Boulder County Office of Emergency Management on the best ways we can support our wider community.
- For those who want to volunteer, please visit: ColoradoResponds.org.
- For those wishing to make financial donations, you may do so through the Community Foundation/Colorado Gives and Red Cross.
- Additional donations can be facilitated through forms on Boulder OEM’s website.
Today’s Service Of Lament & Prayer
Tomorrow’s Online Contemplative Service
We will also gather on Sunday, 1/2/22, at 5pm MT via Zoom only, for our monthly contemplative service. We will use this time for quiet prayer together, in reflection on the fires and in prayer for the recovery faced by so many of our neighbors in the weeks and months ahead.
Postponing Our 1/8 Homecoming Celebration
We will be postponing our Homecoming celebration from 1/8 to a Saturday in February. Stay tuned for details and thank you in advance for the grace of schedule flexibility.
A Blessing For Suffering
All of your pastors are praying for you in our church community, and all in our wider community, who are suffering as a result of these wildfires. We hope you will take some comfort from this blessing for suffering from John O’Donohue:
May you be blessed in the holy names of those
Who, without knowing it,
Help to carry and lighten your pain.
May you know serenity
When you are called
To enter the house of suffering.
May a window of light always surprise you.
May you be granted the wisdom
To avoid false resistance;
When suffering knocks on the door of your life,
May you glimpse its eventual gifts.
May you be able to receive the fruits of suffering.
May memory bless and protect you
With the hard earned light of past travail;
To remind you that you have survived
And though the darkness is now deep,
You will soon see approaching light.
May the grace of time heal your wounds.
May you know that though the storm may
Not a hair of your head will be harmed.
Credit: John O’Donohue, To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blesings
With love and prayers,
John, Kristie, Nicole & Paula