Today, at 08:00 AM MT, our co-pastor Paula Williams will speak at the Presidential Inaugural Prayer Service. President Joe Biden will join the virtual event hosted by the Washington National Cathedral.
The customary interfaith service, which dates back to the first inauguration of President George Washington, will be entirely virtual this year to engage Americans safely. Bishop William J. Barber II will deliver the homily, and the program will feature remarks from a select group of leading religious voices representing all walks of life and musical performances from Josh Groban, Patti LaBelle and The Clark Sisters.
Reading Will Be From Isaiah 58: 6-12
Paula will speak as both a representative of Left Hand Church and post-evangelical Christians, and in doing so will also contribute to the most LGBTQ inclusive inaugural prayer service in history. She will read scripture just ahead of Bishop Barber’s homily.
The scripture she is to read is Isaiah 58: 6-12, which is as follows:
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and the Lord will say: Here am I.“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
The Lord will guide you always;
The Lord will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.
Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins
and will raise up the age-old foundations;
you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls,
Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.”
Event Features A Short List Of Faith-based Organizations
The service features a short list of interfaith leaders from across the nation. Participants in the service, and the faith-based organizations they represent include:
- The Right Rev. Mariann Edgar Budde, Diocesan Bishop, Episcopal Diocese of Washington
- The Very Rev. Randolph Marshall Hollerith, Dean, Washington National Cathedral
- His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros, Primate of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
- Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum, Senior Rabbi, Congregation Beit Simchat Torah
- Rabbi Sharon Brous, Senior Rabbi, IKAR
- Jonathan Nez, President, Navajo Nation
- Phefelia Nez, First Lady, Navajo Nation
- The Rev. Jim Wallis, Founder and Ambassador of Sojourners
- Sr. Carol Keehan, Former President and CEO, Catholic Health Association
- The Rev. Dr. Otis Moss III, Senior Pastor, Trinity United Church of Christ
- Dr. Debbie Almontaser, Senior Advisor, Emgage NY and President, Muslim Community Network
- Imam Azhar Subedar, Imam, IACC
- The Rev. Dr. Alexia Salvatierra, Assistant Professor of Mission and Global Transformation, Fuller Theological Seminary
- Barbara Satin, Faith Work Director, The National LGBTQ Task Force
- Anuttama Dasa, Global Minister of Communications, International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON)
- Valarie Kaur, Sikh American Activist, Author of “See No Stranger”
- The Rev. Dr. Gregory Knox Jones, Senior Pastor, Westminster Presbyterian Church
- Bishop Vashti McKenzie, African Methodist Episcopal Church
- The Rev. Dr. Paula Stone Williams, Author and Pastor, Left Hand Church
- The Rev. Fred Davie, Executive Vice President, Union Theological Seminary
- The Rev. Robert W. Fisher, Rector, St. John’s, Lafayette Square
- The Rev. Dr. Yvette Flunder, Presiding Bishop, The Fellowship of Affirming Ministries
- Emma Petty Addams, Executive Director, Mormon Women for Ethical Government
- The Rev. Dr. Cynthia L. Hale, Senior Pastor, Ray of Hope Christian Church
- The Rev. Dr. Jeffrey Kuan, President, Claremont School of Theology
- First Lady Robin Jackson, Brookland Baptist Church
- The Rev. Dr. Jacqui Lewis, Senior Minister, Middle Collegiate Church
- The Revd. Canon Rosemarie Logan Duncan, Canon for Worship, Washington National Cathedral
- The Rev. Robert W. Lee, Pastor, Unifour Church
- Sr. Norma Pimentel, Executive Director, Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley
- Jen Hatmaker, NYT Bestselling Author, Podcast Host, and Speaker
Join Us To Cheer Paula On
The service will be livestreamed today, 1/21/20 at 8am MT at https://bideninaugural.org/watch and https://cathedral.org with closed captioning and ASL provided. Please join us in watching this bit of Left Hand history, and in cheering on Paula in this experience of a lifetime!