Dear Left Hand Family,
We hope this message finds you well — in body and in spirit. We, like many of you, have been amazed at the scope of breaking news surrounding COVID-19. This has turned into a situation without precedence. It’s both a blessing and a burden to live in an age where information can circle the globe at the click of a button. Our connectedness to one another is undeniable; as are our shared responsibilities.
To that end: we have come to the difficult decision to suspend in-person Saturday worship and programming for the next few weeks. We realize this will catch many of our church family members off guard. Let us share some of our reasoning behind this decision and what you can expect this Saturday and the weeks to come.
• First, please note that we do not make this decision lightly. We believe it is our responsibility to love our neighbors, and this responsibility extends to protecting our neighbor’s physical condition and safety.
• Because of the cozy nature of our church building, we feel there is simply no way to conduct worship services without increasing risk of exposure to many of our congregation’s elderly, vulnerable, or immunocompromised. Even though the decision to cancel services is one that (pardon the pun) makes us sick, it’s the only way we can guarantee the health and safety of everyone in our church family.
• This Saturday at 5 pm, we will stream a message via Facebook Live on the Left Hand Church Facebook page for you to watch live. We encourage you to join us online as you are able. While we will not all be in the same place on Saturday, we can certainly still be together — together in prayer, meditation, and as a body of believers worshipping the Good News of Jesus Christ!
• In making this decision, we are leaning particularly on the wisdom and expertise of the Colorado Department of Health, the local school districts, and other experts. When the knowledgeable and wise people in your life offer their knowledge and wisdom, it’s up to you to listen — we want you to know we are listening.
• While the live in-building element of our services will be on hiatus for the time being, the work of the church very much continues! Please stay tuned for an exciting announcement about small groups, or pods, that will help us stay connected during this time. News on this front shall be coming soon — and if you stream the service on Saturday, you may hear a little about it!
• Please, please, please keep our pastoral staff and Leadership Council in prayer over the next few days — we are in definite need of God’s guidance at this time. Pray for all the front line workers: medical staff, educators, social workers, hospitality and sanitation workers. Pray for the health and the economic livelihood of citizens around the world. And please let us know how we can pray for you!
This cancellation will have multiple cascading effects, and we’re sure you have many questions, not all of which may have complete answers right now. As you reach out with those questions, we ask for your patience so we can respond in a meaningful and accurate way to address all of your concerns. Let’s all remember that Jesus loves this world more than we ever can. God is always at work in us and around us. Everything we see and love are all being held by God’s care and design. Let’s settle our hearts and our minds on those sure and unshakable truths.
In prayer with you all,
-Left Hand Pastoral Team