Hello, Left Hand Church!
We wanted to give you an update on Kitchen Starter Kits, a ministry we launched to supply individuals and families in crisis with basic kitchenware. We know that home-cooked meals are healthier and more economical than take-out, but accumulating cookware can become expensive and burdensome for anyone in a vulnerable or transitional position. We believe this is a basic need, with a one-to-one impact, that we can help serve in our area.
Our Progress: We are proud to report that we have successfully delivered 20 kits in our first 2 months! That’s insane! No, really, that’s crazy. We can’t keep up with that pace. We were unaware, at the outset, how many local residents are in need of kitchen supplies. Due to several constraints, we can only commit to building and delivering six kits per month, for the time being. Therefore, we have identified four local non-profits whose needs we are able to meet at this time.
The four non-profit agencies are:
- HOPE for Longmont
- Safehouse Progressive Alliance for NonViolence (SPAN)
- Safe Shelter of St. Vrain Valley
- The Inn Between of Longmont
In addition to serving clients at these four organizations, we have committed to help supply SPAN with new kitchen items after they complete a kitchen remodel at one of their safehouses in early 2020. More information to come on our exciting plan for them!
Storage: We would love to expand our reach and serve everyone in need of kitchenware, however we are still in search of an adequate storage space that meets our needs. We do have a couple of good leads, though, so stay tuned!
Sponsor a Basic Kitchen Kit! You can now make a tax-deductible cash donation through our website! We thought it might be helpful for donors to know the cost of a very basic kitchen kit, which includes pots and pans, flatware, cooking utensils, and place settings for a household of four. The suggested amount is $60, however we appreciate any amount.
Follow us on Instagram for updates and high fives! @Kitchen_Starter_Kits
Interested in Getting Involved?
Here are 5 ways you can help from nearby or afar:
- Host a workplace/ neighborhood collection drive or gift shower. We can help provide details for your invitation or announcement. We’ll even pick up the collection if needed!
- Drop off your items at Left Hand Church any Saturday evening, between 4:30-6:30, at 402 Kimbark Street in Longmont.
- Volunteer to assemble and deliver the kits. Dates/Times/Location TBD. Email Jody to get on the list!
- Do you live far away but still want to contribute? We have set up an Amazon wish list for new items to be delivered directly to us!
- Share our Amazon wishlist link on Social Media and ask your network to give! We have received items from California, Idaho, Utah, Texas, Maryland, Colorado and even the U.K!